Bennie’s lessons were pretty clear to me.
- Occasionally things are not as threatening or terrifying as they seem at first. Sometimes life is trying to give you something nice, not take something away from you.
- Don’t force things you don’t need to force. You don’t have to face everything, sometimes you can just walk wide and avoid the unpleasantness altogether.
- Love what you love beyond all logic or reason. Love it a lot. Ask for it all of the time. Put yourself in position to get what you love – and then do it every chance you get. Realize what a joy it is while you’re doing it.
- Oh…and…never swim. Just don’t. You never know what is really lurking under that shiny darkness that you think is just another kind of solid ground. If you jump be prepared to be surprised.
Lessons from Bella so far are:
- Just walk in as if you own the place. Chances are that someone has hidden nice surprises all over the place for you to find.
- Run hard with your ears flat when you want to. Run really fast. When you are done don’t take the bait to make you run anymore.
- Sometimes it just feels good to tear out all of your toys at one time. Even if you don’t plan to do anything with them.
- Walk every chance you get. The more you do that the better the chance of catching a squirrel or rabbit off guard.
- Know when to give up – no point running full bore if you know the rope is too short.
- Stay friendly, but don’t over commit.
- Eschew drama. If someone acts hysterical collect your dignity and move calmly out of reach. There’s too much crazy in the world to react to all of it.
- Every so often there is one loud-mouthed fucker who has it coming. Usually being sweet and maintaining your dignity will make them look like the psycho jackal that they really are, but every so often it’s ok to actively dislike someone’s attitude. Call them on their shit and don’t back down, even if you’re small.
- When everyone expects it least, be playful and funny in a way that weirds everyone out. Especially the over serious ones, or the self important drama queens. Bob and weave, jump and fake them out, then leave them asking their handlers what the hell just happened. It’s great for everyone’s head.
- When you find your one true love, curl up against them and relax. Go peacefully to sleep. Everything will be ok.